Saturday, November 27, 2010

Uruguay

I went to Montevideo on Tuesday before Thanksgiving and came back Friday night. It was great to spend the holiday with some ACU Study Abroad students as well of some of my friends from Brazil that were visiting the area.

Pretty much, I couldn't ask to have a better or more encouraging Thanksgiving (unless I could have shared it with my family too). Audrey and I contributed mashed potatoes to the humongous feast, and there was more than enough to go around to the students, travelers and Uruguayan guests. It was also nice to have a time off of work and away from the city for a little bit, but I'm excited to be back.

For free-flowing reflections on life in another country and what I got out of my trip, continue reading...

Audrey and I did not intend to share our Turkey with people from Brazil, but we somehow ended up in the same place at the same time. For me this was amazing because I accepted it as a divine gift. My time in Brazil in June really made an impact on me; and so, to share with those individuals again without planning to was more than I could have asked for or imagined happening. We went around the city together, looked at monuments together, told stories together, and laughed together. Together is so important. Without meaning too, they helped me realize how easy it is to be more focused on details and plans and ideas and learning and being perfect and on and on and on.... to be more focused (or should I say distracted?) on all of that that there is no room for appreciating each other or for true partnership. And I feel like by talking about it so much, I'm sort of ruining what a simple thing it truly is. So let me start over.

I feel reminded to be myself and love others as they eagerly work towards the same :-)

1 comment: